Paypal Fraud Transaction

It was my first time encountering a fraud paypal transaction done through my account. So, there's that particular day that i happened to check my mail and i received an email from paypal stating as below :

You've added a new email address to your PayPal account

Dear abdullah safiah,

This is to confirm that you've added a new email address (melcomdavid@gmail.com) to your PayPal account.

If you want to make this your primary email address - where we'll send all your account-related information - log in to your PayPal account and go to your Profile.

If you didn't add this email, let us know right away. It's important because it helps us make sure no one is accessing your account without your knowledge.

Yours sincerely,
PayPal


I didn't pay much attention to it because as far as i know, i did not add any email to my current paypal account. After reading that email, i ignored it as i thought it was just a spam or a fake email. However, somehow, my instincts were telling me to check my bank account, in case there's any unauthorised transaction done.

To my horror, i saw a transaction done from my freaking bank account! This transaction is done via Paypal to BS International Pte Ltd. Mind you, this transaction consist of 3digits number. I tried to recall if i did make any transaction done and i'm pretty sure it wasn't me. Furthermore, it was done on a day i was at work where i hardly have the time to even use my mobile.

In addition to that, the transaction was done on the same day i received that email from paypal stating that i've added another email to my account. So, i tried logging in to paypal and i failed! This makes me even more panic. It stated incorrect info etc. However, i was pretty sure that i logged in with the right details.

I wasn't quite sure who to contact first. So, first thing first, i called the bank.

POSB staff answered and suggested to cancel the card to prevent from any further transaction done. They will give a new card for myself in a week time. Secondly, i emailed paypal. Finding the direct contact no to give a personal phone call takes quite sometime for me.

After few minutes of searching here and there, finally, i managed to call them. They said they will investigate and they will refund the amount back. Well, that gives me sigh of relief. They also mentioned to change my hotmail password. It seems that this scammer did this transaction and closed my paypal account. The reason why i can't log in, as explained by the paypal staff.

Lastly, i did a police report via online. Thankfully, after a week or so, i received my new atm card and today, i checked my account and yes, paypal has refunded it back to my account. Alhamdulillah. I'm so thankful that all is well for now.

This taught me a valuable lesson to check my mails more consistently and pay special attention to mails that looks suspicious. Thankfully, it was only 2 days later after the transaction was done that i happened to check my mail. I can't imagine if i were to discover it like few months later or so. I wonder if they will still refund me. I don't know.

This post also goes out to those of you out there who has paypal. Just be a little more careful and take note of any suspicious emails that you received.

Yours truly,
saf

Comments

Popular Posts